The Palace of the National Bank
Architecture / Palace
The Palace of the National Bank is a representative building of Timișoara, located at 1 Ion Brătianu Av..
It was built between 1903 and 1904, based on architect Josef Hubert's plans, in the style typical of the 1900s, with late Baroque elements combined with Secession. The lion heads that decorate the façade signify wealth and power.
The building is surrounded by a garden and has two entrances that lead to an elegant hallway, with columns, where the counters are. The upper level impresses through the sobriety and elegance of its halls.
The Palace of the National Bank is an imposing building that served as the Austro-Hungarian Bank headquarters between 1904 and 1918, and later, as the State Bank. Currently this is where the Timișoara Branch of the National Bank of Romania operates.
Text and photo sources: http://www.timisoreni.ro/; http://timisoara.eventya.eu/