The Nakó Castle
The Nakó Castle, one of the architectural jewels of Banat, is located in the center of Sânnicolau Mare.
Built in 1864 by Count Kálmán Nakó in neoclassical style, the castle is guarded by a medieval tower and has 99 rooms.
Formerly there were a library of 5000 volumes, paintings, statues, sculpted furniture, rare porcelain, letters from Deák Ferenc, Jókai Mór, Franz Liszt and Richard Wagner. The values of Nako's Castle disappeared immediately after the First World War.
Over time, the building served as the headquarters of the first agricultural school in Romania, a legionary headquarters, a barracks-weapon depot, and after the Second World War, it hosted a tractor school, then an agricultural school.
In 1975, Sânnicolau Mare City Hall organized in the castle the "Béla Bartók" Museum, inaugurated in 1981. The House of Pioneers also functioned in the castle, and after the Revolution it became a disco, a computer club and a gym.
Currently, the castle is the headquarters of the Cultural House and the City Museum.
The building is listed on the historical monuments list in Timis County.
For visiting: contact person - Gheorghe Mândran (phone 0727749627)