Millennium Church - Timișoara
Millennium Church, located in the Romanilor Square in Fabric neighbourhood, is considered to be the biggest Roman-Catholic church in Timişoara.
The church was built between 1896 and 1901; the architect was Ybl Lajos, and the builder was Kremer József. The cornerstone was laid on October 4, 1896, in the presence of the Bishop of Cenad, Dessewffy Sándor.
The name "Millennium" was given to the church in honour of the celebration of 1000 years since the formation of the Hungarian state in the year 896.
The consecration of the church took place on October 13, 1901.
From an architectural point of view, elements of the Neo-Roman and Gothic style can be noticed. The thickness of the walls is between 1 and 3,64 meters, the building being covered in raw brick on the outside. The central dome is 45 meters high, and the two towers - 65 meters. Inside the right tower you can find the chapel of St.Anthony of Padua. The big bell weighs 2,420 kg.
Above the gate, three life-size statues are placed, one central, that of the Saviour Jesus Christ and the others of Apostles Peter and Paul.
The church has an impressive organ, manufactured in 1901 by Carl Leopold Wegenstein, one of the most famous organ manufacturers in Banat.
Text and photo sources: http://www.radiotimisoara.ro/; https://timisoara.eventya.eu/