Wooden Churches in Țara Făgetului
The Făget area is considered the Little Bukovina of Banat due to the valuable cultural and religious heritage existing here.
Wooden churches, hundreds of years old, have Banat features, different from those in Transylvania and Maramures.
They are built after the liberation of Banat from Ottoman occupation by Eugene de Savoya's troops in 1716.
Wooden Churches in Țara Făgetului
The "Holy Paraschiva / Sfânta Cuvioasă Paraschiva" Church in Băteşti
It was probably built in the second half of the eighteenth century, being brought on the rollers, drawn by 12 pairs of oxen, from the village of Veţa, now missing.
Built on a stone foundation, with massive beams in the structure of the walls, the church has a shingled roof. The wrists from the narthex and from the altar end in a "dovetail tail", worked neatly and tastefully, without the slightest nail.
It was painted by the painter Gheorghe Diaconovici in 1783. The painting is still preserved only in the altar and on the nave's vault. The iconostasis is painted directly on wood.
The Church of St. John the Theologian in Bulza
The church in Bulza dates back to 1820.
It preserves the wooden structure with a vault in the nave and an altar from the construction period, remarked by an original exterior decoration. The shingle covering the roof was replaced with roof panel.
The wooden walls are plastered according to the example of the wall churches, having plant ornaments.
The church has no painting.
Church of the "Apostles Peter and Paul" in Coșevița
The church of Coşeviţa dates back to 1776.
The construction is plastered on the outside and inside. The interior has beaten earth floors. The cover of the roof, originally from the shingle, was changed in the 1960s with galvanized sheet metal.
A particular element of the church is the porch, built in the form of a broad pole, supported on two massive oak pillars buried in the ground.
The Church of „Holy Paraschiva” in Crivina de Sus
The church in Crivina de Sus is the only one dated with inscription - 1676.
It is considered to be the most successful architectural achievement in Banat.
The walls are of apparent wood and have joints in the "dovetail tail", but also multiconsoles cut from the bard, with a special artistic effect. The floors are made of fir boards, placed on transverse beams. The church is covered with shingles.
It has no interior painting, whitewashed.
Church of the "Birth of the Holy Virgin" in Crivobara
The church of Crivobara dates from 1780.
The construction is made of oak beams, the walls are covered with ground, both inside and outside. The wooden tower on the pronaos is of Baroque influence.
The iconostasis is beautifully worked with the royal doors carved and painted in 1825.
The Church of the "Holy Paraschiva" in Curtea
The church in the Court dates back to 1794. It is the most spacious wooden church kept in Banat.
The foundation of the edifice is made of quarry stone, and the walls of the orchard beams are plastered on the outside and in the interior are plated with oak planks.
The cover of the roof is made of shingles, and the top of the tower too.
The painting dates back to 1806 and was attributed to the painter Petru Nicolici.
The Church of "Holy Paraschiva" in Dobrești
The church from Dobreşti dates back to 1832. It is a parochial church, where all the religious services for the Orthodox families in the village are held regularly.
The "St. Dumitru" church in Dubeşti
The church was built around 1650 on a stone foundation, made of oak-beaded beams, with a raised tower on a system of solid beams laid on the floor of the church.
In 1931 the old cover of the shingle roof was replaced with the current galvanized sheet.
The painting from inside was made in natural colors, being of Byzantine inspiration. The painting on the nave's vault is damaged, only vaguely distinguishing the scenes from the Lord's Passion.
Church “Assumption of Holy Virgin” in Groşi
The Groși Church was built in 1741 by the peasant Peru Neculai.
It was brought in 1826 from the valley of Mureș.
The church resembles that of Băteşti, with the difference that here the interior space is bigger, and the exterior walls of beams have been plastered with earth.
The cover of the roof and that of the tower were coated with galvanized sheet.
Still retains fragments of the original painting.
Church “Assumption of Holy Virgin” in Homojdia
The Homojdia church was built between 1782 and 1804.
The outer walls are plastered with lime and sand. The simple, prismatic tower features a small conical roof, shingled, as is the roof of the church roof.
Church „Holy Paraschiva” in Jupâneşti
The church from Jupâneşti dates back to the 18th century.
Just over a few stone boulders placed at the corners were placed on the sides, over which the massive beams, carved on all four sides, overlap. The joints are made with wooden blades without the use of iron.
As a particular element of the church, men's entrance was practiced in the northern wall of the nave.
The cover of the roof is made of shingles, just like the pyramid roof of a small tower on the pronaos.
The interior painting was destroyed, keeping only a few icons, crosses, and 18th century worship in the church.
Church „Holy Paraschiva” in Margina
The church of Margina dates back to 1737.
It was built on a base and a small base of stone quarry, over which the massive soles were laid. The walls made of oak beams are covered on the outside with earthing.
Above the narthex rises a small tower, plated on the outside with planks. Two overlapping baroque bulbs make the transition to the top cross.
The cover of the roof is made of shingles.
The painting of the church was made in the popular tradition in 1784 by Petru Nicoliciu and Lazar Gherdanovici, and is now better preserved on the altar vault.
The church bell is the oldest in Banat.
The "Saint Nichita the Roman" Church in Nemeşeşti
The church in Nemeșești dates back to 1798.
The wooden walls have been replaced with a brick wall, and the exterior is covered with a plaster painted in white. The church has a vaulted space in the nave and altar without being painted. The current cover is made of metal roofing.
Church of “Assumption of Holy Virgin” in Pietroasa
The church of Pietroasa dates back to 1779, being situated on a hill in the middle of the cemetery.
The walls are made of oak wood, with clay joints, both inside and outside.
The interior painting is degraded.
Restoration at the beginning of the 20th century brought some changes: the shingle roof was changed with tile, and the roof of the tower, which imitates a baroque inspirational bulb, was coated with galvanized sheet.
Church of “Holy Paraschiva” in Poieni
The Poieni Church dates back to 1791.
It is built of massive oak beams, with the shingle-lined exterior walls.
The tower is adorned with two Baroque-inspired bulbs that overlap from big to small, to the top cross. The roof covering and the roof of the bell tower are made of shingles.
The interior painting was made in 1812 by the painter Petru Nicolici.
The Church of the "Archangels Michael and Gabriel" in Povergina
The church of Povergina dates from 1782-1783.
It is built of oak wood, the joints at the corners being in the "dovetail tail", the last beads of beams forming elegant multiconsoles.
The outer walls are covered with earth-bonding. The foundation is of career stone.
The tower is prismatic, the canopy taking the form of baroque-specific bulbs.
The cover of the roof is made of shingles.
The interior of the church is painted.
The Church of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist in Româneşti
The Românești Church dates back to the eighteenth century.
Walls of oak beams are covered on the outside with earth glue.
The Baroque-inspired wooden tower is considered one of the most beautiful in Banat, and it is covered with shingle.
The monument was painted, but the painting was covered with lime.
Church of the “Holy Apostles Peter and Paul” in Zolt
The church in Zolt dates back to the eighteenth century.
The massive carved walls of the orchard lay on a lightweight stone foundation, the beams being united without a nail.
The tower on the narthex is dressed in shingles, just like the roof of the church. Above the tower there are two baroque-inspired bulbs with shingles.
On the south wall of the nave, as well as on the apse, there are several crosses in the memory of the young people in the village who were fallen in the First World War.
Inside, the church is fully painted on vaults and walls. The painting was made in 1781 by Teodor Zugravul and Atanasie from Lugoj.
In the narthex is the portrait of the founder, the priest Petre Obeadă.
The "Archangels Mihail and Gavriil" Church inside the Banat Village Museum
The church of Topla was built in 1746 at Remetea Lunca and then donated in 1807 to the faithful in the village of Topla, according to a note on a church-preserved gospel.
The church was brought on rollers, pulled by 24 pairs of oxen, and was then re-established and consolidated with the help of the faithful.
Architecture recommends it as the most valuable wooden settlement in Banat. Here we encounter a medial twine twisted in a torsade, a prolonged waist around the church's perimeter, surrounding the western portal. The roof is made of shingle, and the bell is separated. The walls are made of wide beamed hornbeams on all four sides and finished at the corners of the dovetail.
In 1987 the church was demolished from the village of Topla and brought to the Banat Village Museum in Timişoara, where, during the period 1994-1996, the assembly works were carried out.
The "St. Dimitrie" Church within the Eparchial Center
The church at the Eparchial Center dates back to 1774. It was brought from Hodoş in 1970.
The church is made of oak wood, glued to the outside with earth. The rooftop roof is also made of oak, carved from the bard, and the shingle cover.
The prism-shaped tower features a baroque inspiration bulb above it.
It is the only wooden church in Banat where the western end of the nave does not end with a tympanum, but with a prominent curved recess, that the entire vault creates the impression of a large flattened calotte.
Text, photo, video sources