The Clergy Houses

Architecture / Monument


Piața Unirii 8, Timișoara, Romania


The Clergy Houses are an ensemble of 4 houses, located at 8, 9, 10 and 11 Union Square.

The houses date back to the second half of the eighteenth century and originally formed a single building, with a unitary façade, until after 1844.

All the houses were originally executed in the Austrian Baroque style, and rebuilt after the 1849 siege in Classicist style, and later restored in 1980, based on the plans of architect Șerban Sturza.

The house at no.8, known as the Szervinatz House, belonged in 1828 to Johann Szervinatz. In 1847, the house sheltered the tavern "La Trei Husari", and in 1852 it was turned into a vinegar factory.

The house at number 9, known as the Nica Koszta House, belonged in 1828 to Nica Koszta, and later this is where the tavern "La Balotul din Ardeal" ("The Transylvanian Bale") worked.

In 2009, the house was restored as part of the Romanian-German cooperation project „The Prudent Rehabilitation and Economic Revitalization of the Historic Neighbourhoods in Timişoara”, implemented by the Municipality of Timişoara and the German Society for Technical Cooperation (GTZ).

The house at number 10 was known in 1828 as the "Clergy House".

The one at number 11 is the Krautwaschl House, which in 1828 belonged to Franz Krautwaschl. In 1844 this is where the tavern "La Struţ" ("The Ostrich") functioned, the emblem of the tavern was represented by a red painted ostrich. In the mean time, the house became headquarters of bank subsidiaries, editorials, political parties. It was restored in 2009.

Text and photo sources:;

Similar Suggestions

Palatul Administrativ Ciacova


Monumentul eroilor din primul război mondial (1914-1919) DIN CIACOVA


Liceul Teoretic Alexandru Mocioni Ciacova


Donjon medieval (Cula), sec. XIV


Crucea Ortodoxă Sârbă din Piața Cetății